Friday, June 3, 2011

BONNAROO 2011

     There are now only 5 days left on my Bonnaroo countdown before I make my way to Manchester, Tennessee, and I couldn't be more excited.  This will be my first (of many, I'm sure) Bonnaroo experience so I am not quite sure what to expect.  All I know is that I will be camping with my girlfriend for 4 days, listening to amazing bands all week long, and sweating my ass off in the blistering heat.  In fact, only those first two matter-- all other details really go out the window.  But for the past week now I have been researching and preparing for which bands to see and when.  I'm so pumped to see so many names, but I have done my best to make a list of the TOP 5 ARTISTS and I am most looking forward to see play.  This list really doesn't mean anything, as I'm also drooling to see Florence + the Machine, Beirut, The Black Keys, Ratatat, The Strokes,etc. and even Eminem.  But these select 5 artists and their accompanying songs/videos are what I have been most recently been listening to in order to mentally prepare myself for what is to come.  I will most likely post here again before leaving to Bonnaroo, but I doubt I will post updates during the festival, although I will provide an extensive report of course when I return, covering all and everything that is B'roo.

5. The Decemberists
     I had not been familiar with several of the bands in this year's lineup, and the Decemberists were admittedly one of them.  In researching their stuff though, I was insantly struck by their amazingly poetic lyrics.  It continues to baffle me how bands can combine such deep and meaningful words with beautiful melodies, and it is why we all love music so much.  I have heard stories about the Decemberists live shows, and how they are fun and that audience participation is often encouraged.  This is my favorite video of theirs, and 'Sixteen Military Wives' is a fitting example of the Decemberists' impressive lyrics.  I also think I like it so much because I happen to believe the song's criticism of U.S. foreign policy is pretty striking. 

The Decemberists - Sixteen Military Wives


4. My Morning Jacket
     Despite having been around for a while, My Morning Jacket is another indie band that has managed to slip under my radar, until now.  I caught a glimpse of a live YouTube concert they did to promote their latest album, and was pleasantly surprised.  I believe this video captures everything about the band, as well as Bonnaroo itself, as it's of a performance from Bonnaroo 2004.  If bare feet, long haired musicians, and an atmosphere anything like this vieo is what's in store for this year, then I'll be completely satisfied.

My Morning Jacket - One Big Holiday


3. Walk The Moon
     I had been contemplating dedicating an entire post to Walk the Moon, and their debut album, 'I Want! I Want!' for some time, but this will have to do for now.  I don't know how I came across this band in the first place, but am so glad I did.  (Come to think of it, it was probably hypem.com).  The band is made up of a bunch of guys right out of college, who happen to make infectious and addicting indie pop music.  Don't let the word 'pop' scare you away, this is good pop I promise.  They are my new favorite band, and their sound is just full of energy and fun.  The facepaint you'll witness in the video is also mimicked my the band when they play live, and fans get involved in the paint madness as well.  I really can't contain my excitement for this one.

Walk The Moon - Anna Sun


2. Mumford and Sons
     I had heard of Mumford and Sons in the past, but never really set aside the time to listen and give them a chance.  I hope to never make such a grave error in the future.  They sound just like any good English indie band would sound, until the banjo kicks in.  The Irish twang is instantly recognizable and somehow mesmerizing.  The more I listen, the more I like, and the more excited I become to watch them jam out live.  I have varied between official band videos and live performances just to mix it up a bit, and here's a performance of one of my favorite M&S songs.

Mumford and Sons - Thistle and Weeds


1. Arcade Fire
     Until I heard that Arcade Fire shocked the Grammy world by winning Album of the Year earlier this year, I had not given them a real chance.  If this makes me just another bandwagonner, I don't care.  I bought the album on iTunes (a rarity these days for me), and never looked back.  I spent hours reading the lyrics to each song carefully, when I should have really been writing papers and reading for class.  Whatever, I got a 4.0 this semester so my technique works! (Cool brag, right?)  Anyway, I fell in love with Arcade Fire and their album 'the Suburbs'.  Their subtle theme of childhood nostagia and a concern for our increasingly technological society really fit into not only with how I felt at the time, but even what I was studying!  I would read a lyric and think to myself, "that is totally postmodern, I need to tell my Comm&Tech professor...")  P.S. If that makes me a nerd then at least i'm a cool nerd that likes good music.  Buy their latest album.  Seriously.  In fact, I would recommend buying each previously mentioned band's newest album.  This video was directed by Spike Jonze and the song really is beautiful.
Arcade Fire - The Suburbs 

No comments:

Post a Comment