Monday, July 25, 2011

A Different Way of Seeing

"Sit in a room and read- and read and read.  And read the right books by the right people... When you find an author who really grabs you, read everything he has done.  Don't say, "Oh, I want to know what So-and-so did"- and don't bother at all with the best-seller list.  Just read what this one author has to give you.  And then you can go read what he had read.  And the world opens up in a way that is consistent with a certain point of view.  But when you go from one author to another, you may be able to tell us the date when each wrote such and such a poem- but he hasn't said anything to you."
- Joseph Campbell, The Power of Myth

     For the past few weeks I have been reading 'The Power of Myth', which is basically a written form of a lengthy conversation between Joseph Campbell and Bill Moyers, done for a PBS special many years ago.  The entire book was fantastic and really illuminating to read, but the quote above really resonated with me.  I found myself relating this quote to our current music culture and how we view artists today.  The introduction of radio in the 20th Century brought about the idea of radio hits, and singles.  However, artists generally tend to produce their music in the form of albums, as a completed work.  The combination of this quote and the contemporary status of the music industry led me to look at musical works in a different way.  Specifically, it led me to critically analyze the three albums by the band Arcade Fire, in a way that I had never done before.  I sat down, and listened to each song, read each lyric, and opened myself up to the meaning and message behind each album.  What I found was an incredible display of poetic and musical talent.  Now granted, not every band tends to have philosophical, political, or social commentary in their music, but I found all of the above in each of Arcade Fire's albums. 
      My findings could possibly be the foundation of my Senior Research project for college, and I'll consider it.  If you have any questions at all about a certain song, album, or overall message that Arcade Fire represents, please ask and I would gladly have a discussion.  Delving into each album would risk doubling the content of this blog with one post, so I will refrain from doing so.  However, I will summarize what I have found.  Joseph Campbell's quote can not only focus on literature, but musical artists as well.  After really going through each Arcade Fire album and thinking about what they have to say and why they have such a perspective, it has really opened me up to the fact my way of looking at the world can be enriched by examining what others have to say about it.  Really great bands have a way of reaching people through music, but oftentimes the lyrics are swept aside.  Open yourself up to what your favorite bands have to offer, and hopefully, it will speak to you.  I would highly recommend purchasing any Arcade Fire album and really dedicating yourself to its content on all fronts.


Much Love,
Kai



Arcade Fire - Rebellion (Lies)

No comments:

Post a Comment